Sunday, 18 December 2011
Sumin' up the South (so far)
I really enjoyed my time in the South of Ireland. Favourite places in no particular order: Adare, Dalkey (where Enya and Bono live along the coast), Howth, and Dublin! Okay, that last one comes first.
My bonus last full day in Dublin I was able to view the Book of Kells. I guess it was meant to be, and so interesting. I thought of my designer and even writer friends. Pretty incredible. The pages I saw: Picture - The temptation of Christ and written - "My father giveth you the true bread from heaven." Whatever that means. It said that the most important thing christianity introduced to Ireland was writing. Probably the thou shall not kill, love thy neighbour stuff goes without saying.
Yesterday I went to this place called the Loft in Powers Court by Grafton Street and it was pretty much an attic in a shopping centre with all local designers and next door was art work by I'm assuming local people as well. I like that craic. (I've found that you can pretty much use that word in place of any word and it makes sence. Origianlly I thought it was just, 'fun'.)
The South introduced me to a lot of things I've never been privy to. 1. Traveling Gypsies and 2. Organized romanian beggars. I saw a mother and baby out in the cold middle of December I came close to telling her off but I was on a tour bus so it was a bit of an issue. Oh and Guinness, 3. Right. In Ireland it's a two pour process to pour a pint of Guiness and in 'real life' I would never order the stuff but it's actually quite alright.
I've been reading a book since Fermanagh by a Dublin writer named Cecelia Ahern. If you meantion her, most will bring up what a shoddy politician her father was. Her first book was PS, I love you. It's so good. I just started seriously reading it in Dublin but it's like 1. walk through Trinity College or 2. Read some chick lit? Exactly. It's the first book of hers I've read and if I was a rude house guest I would stay in my room until it was done. Oh, the title is, "The time of my life."
Oh, before we part I must highly recommend the movie 50/50. Totally not Irish. But how often can you recco a comedy about cancer? Probably my favourite movie of the year, maybe longer. So those are the verbal highlights for now, organizing my pictures are going to be pretty daunting but will get done soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment